Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Botanica on the Blogosphere

Now I've seen it all! There is no limit to the enterprising Cuban spirit, no pun intended. I'm following links, trolling the blogs, and I see one of those Google ads for a botanica. For our American readers, a botanica is a store that sells the oils, powders, candles and assorted paraphernalia for the santeria religion. Although only a percentage of Cubans owns up to following it, most have at least a healthy respect for it. Anyway, the juxtaposition is amazing. Here is this very old religion with African tribal roots propagating itself on the net. Maybe I'm the last one to find out about it, and I can't find the word to describe it. It's not quite irony, but...

Someday, I fantasize, when we land on Mars, some Cuban entrepreneur will be there to greet us with a pan con lechon and un cortadito for a nominal fee, of course.

No comments: