Monday, June 25, 2007

Reads Notes- Part 1

Where to start? Waiting for Snow in Havana gets the position of honor for evoking a lost time and place. At the same time, much of the childhood experience is universal. Lyrical, nostalgic, and funny at points.

Under the Royal Palms, a much thinner book, is usually classified under the young adult label in libraries. If memory serves, it follows the life of a young girl in precastro Camaguey. I do remember that I enjoyed it much.

Exposing the Real Che Guevara starts a new genre. It's Lou's top pick. So, I'll let him fill in on this one.

After Fidel was written by a CIA Cuban analyst. So with how the CIA mucked up the whole Cuba thing, I have to admit I had my suspicions. I learned a bit about Raul, but I learned a whole lot more about Fidel. It eviscerates the romantic revolutionary myths and exposes Castro for what he is, which apparently much of American society doesn't know. Worth reading just for that.

Shadow Warrior is one of those books I just came across at the library, like the one about the first World Trade Center bombing, which I read before 9/11 and served as a guide for understanding the terrorism situation. This one follows the career of the Cuban exile/ CIA operative who witnessed Che's ignominious end. Worth the time.

No comments: