Friday, June 22, 2007

Reel Notes

I put my favorite one first. If you can disregard Harvey Keitel's affected accent, Cuban Blood is a little gem of a movie, kind of a Cuban Amacord. Of all the Cuban-themed movies I've seen, this is the one that most closely resembles the Cuba of my mother's stories. I'm also fond the Shakespearian fool in the person of the town drunk.

Bitter Sugar, otherwise known as Azucar Amarga, is one I discovered in my library recently. In black and white, it's an artsy, interesting look at post Castro Cuba with the requisite disillusionment. The ending is a bit melodramatic, but definitely worth seeing.

I saw Honey for Oshun a while back. It is a more personal story, but it is a bittersweet story with some glimmers of life on the island.

I hesitate to say much about The Lost City. It is a lush and haunting labor of love.

No comments: