Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Childhood's End: Arthur C Clarke Dies


It was one of my early teaching years. Although it was the 80's, vestiges of the open curriculum 70's persisted, and I was scrounging around for some material to suggest to students. One of the things I loved about the scheme was that it resulted in the "resource center" where all sorts of literary treasures lay on floors, between easy chairs, next to carpet squares, just waiting for the curious student. My own experiences with open curriculum in English and Religion as a student had led to my discovery of The Last Temptation of Christ, The Stranger, The Dead Sea Scrolls, Anna Karenina.


That day, I picked up a thin, worn book, one of those old paperbacks with the yellowed, brittle pages. It was entitled Childhood's End. A slim volume of science fiction, it held promise for engaging the average teenager. It was after school, so I sat down just for a few minutes to read. That was my introduction to Arthur C. Clarke. Later, my husband and I would watch his Mysterious Universe on the recently introduced cable TV.


So it is with a certain nostalgia that I mark his passing at age 90. Author of 2001: A Space Odyssey, he was literally a man of many talents. In an interview on his birthday this year, he suggested that he would like most to be remembered as a writer. So it is as a writer that I will mark his passing.

1 comment:

Turner Publishing said...

Sorry to leave this on your comments section, I just couldn't find your email address.

I’m going around to all the South Florida bloggers/freelancers to let them know about our new books about the area: Historic Photos of Palm Beach County, the Historic Photos of Fort Lauderdale, and the Historic Photos of Greater Miami. We’d love to send you a complimentary copy for possible review consideration on your blog for one or all of these titles. The books are produced in a 10x10 large format and all images used are culled from several archives that represent rare or never before seen photos of the South Florida area. We’re trying to get the word out to local folks, so I hope you don’t mind me dropping you a line to let you know about our books!

There is an upcoming signing for Seth Bramson, author of the Historic Photos of Palm Beach County on April 7th at the Barnes & Noble on Legacy Avenue in Palm Beach Gardens at 7pm.

Hope to hear from you soon. Just email me your mailing address and I’ll get a copy out to you today.

Best,
Rachel Joiner
Marketing Manager
Turner Publishing
www.turnerpublishing.com