Friday, October 26, 2007

Read: The Castro Gene

This week's read is The Castro Gene by Todd Buchholz. I've been passing it by in the new books at the library for weeks because I thought it was like a Robin Cook disease sort of book. And given the condition of el coma andante, it sounded a bit dated.

Overcome by guilt, young Luke Braden quits the boxing ring after killing an opponent and finds his dreams come true as he goes from security guard to financial hotshot. He learns too late that his success has a progressively steeper price when he finds himself at the center of international intrigues. I found his meteoric rise a bit implausible. Oh yeah, I thought, like someone's just going to be plucked from the blue collar ranks and be given the keys to the kingdom. Later I read Buchholz is himself a pretty formidable financial type, so I guess he knows of whence he speaks.

What he speaks as a foreign language is Cuban. This is definitely an Anglo and sometimes erroneous depiction of Cuban policy, Cuban Americans, Fidel, you name it. I guess it is interesting in showing an American perspective. Nothing too offensive, unless you count fifo's life being saved. All in all, not great literature, but some decent escapist literature. If you're a reader at loose ends and like David Baldacci novels, you should like this.

No comments: