Tuesday, October 23, 2007

On the Lighter Side

Yesterday, I'm standing in line at Winn Dixie. The cashier is a septuagenarian in a blue beehive. She scans the order ahead of me, ending on a suitcase of beer. She turns to the octogenarian purchasing it and asks for his his driver's license. Amusement, incredulity, and exasperation mingle in his expression as he demands, "Are you checking to see if I'm old enough ?" I'm rolling at this point, so I miss most of the explanation which, of course, involves stopping underage teens from buying alcohol. Oh, brave new world!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Or perhaps the "blue beehive" was taking the opportunity to glean a little info about the "travellin' man" with the suitcase to, y'know, 'chat him up'. Used to do it all the time when I proofed the girls at a local watering hole. Hope she had better luck than I did!
Fermi