Sunday, September 16, 2007

They're At It Again

I received this email from Packrat, jr tonight.

On Wednesday, August 1st, H.R. 3162 which included at $4.50 per carton federal cigarette exercise tax increase was passed by the US House of Representatives by a vote of 225-204. On Thursday, August 2nd, H.R. 976 which included as $6.10 per carton federal cigarette exercise tax increase was passed by the US Senate by a vote of 68-31. Both bills also included increases in the federal exercise tax on other tobacco products.

Now before you start feeling smug that you might not be a smoker and self-righteous that smokers deserve what they get, remember that this mentality may be aimed at you someday. Now say it: transfat!

As for me, I fail to see that my unfortunate addiction should make me a cash cow for the government. And don't give me the hooey about health costs. Smokers die young. They actually cost society less. Not to mention, the majority of smokers come from low income brackets which makes this a regressive tax. Of course, that didn't seem to bother my Democrat Senator.

Anyway, if you are a smoker, or just a person who believes in fair play, you can click here to let your reps know. Surprise, surprise, Phillip Morris is spearheading the campaign against the legislation.

No comments: