Saturday, September 15, 2007

Updated: Butcher Cuba Photos in Sarasota

Update: On Mondays, the art museum only is free. That's where the Butcher show is. I'm there. If not today, next Mon.


Clyde Butcher, long known for his photography of the Florida landscape, went to Cuba on behalf of the UN. Politics aside, which is more or less what he said, the results will be exhibited at The Ringling Museum of Modern Art in Sarasota. Based on his other work, I'll be right there. Admission is $19.00 for adults with various student and sr. citizen discounts available and includes entry to various parts of the museum. You used to be able to go just to the art museum for free on Mondays, but it seems they've changed that. Manda madre if you have to pay 19.00 for the whole shebang every time they bring in a show. I'm looking into that. Click here for the promo. If you're anywhere near the area, it should be worth the trip; the money, I don't know.

Unfortunately, they also seem to have some Cuba programs going on about the same time. I say unfortunately, because based on the following, I fear it's going to be one of those let's all join hands with the dictatorship and sing kum ba ya. I hope I'm wrong.

Havana Film Festival New York is a project of American Friends of the Ludwig Foundation of Cuba, a non-profit organization building cultural bridges between the U.S. and Cuba through programs in the arts. Carole Rosenberg is President of the Foundation, Chairperson and Director of the Festival. Visit www.hffny.com for more information.

Why do I think I recognize some of the usual suspects?

No comments: