Friday, September 14, 2007

You Want WHAT? Perfidy and Payback

I knew this day was coming. Today I received a fundraising letter from Sen. Mel Martinez. I'm on his list because, thrilled at the prospect of a Cuban American Senator, I once contributed twenty bucks of so. Okay, maybe it was more than once. Anyway, don't have much disposable since Packrat, Sr and I dropped out of the rat race years ago, although it does keep trying to suck us back in.

So on two occasions, the Che recordings and the Oliphant cartoon brouhaha, I contacted his office. I never even got the courtesy of a reply saying he could or would do nothing. I mean, even Nelson did that once. Frankly, I have never contacted a politician's office without some sort of reply. As a matter of fact, I've always felt badly that Congressman Murphy of Abscam fame met his political end doing what he did for free for his constituents. I know he helped my family with an immigration matter when my Grandfather was losing precious time in Jamaica waiting for entry into this country for a visit.

Notice I did not expect him to get embroiled in the daily grind of holding appeasers and liars accountable. No, the Smithsonian receives government funding. Martinez is a member of that government. A natural, right? Apparently not. The cartoon amounted to hate speech. Obama and assorted politicians took on Imus. Well, not this Senator. Well, as far as I am concerned, if the Dems don't get too carried away, come reelection time, I'm holding my nose and voting their way for Senator, doubtless adding to some FIU poll.

Maybe in his rush to become an American, the good senator forgot to learn how one treats constituents.

1 comment:

Vana said...

I sent him an e mail once, when he called himself an immigrant, to remind him that he was a political refugee and a Pedro Pan, he never answered my e mail, gues Mel does not consider himself Cuban anymore