Saturday, August 18, 2007

Sombras, Sombras Nada Mas: And Now For A Musical Interlude

Went out for Mexican tonight. On Friday nights, they have a mariachi band. Although I grew up listening to Mexican rancheros- one of my father's favorites- I can never remember a title on the spot. So tonight I was inspired. I just asked if they played any Javier Solis who although extremely popular in the Cuba of yesteryear was Mexican. "Of course," they say, and launch into "Sombras." They must have gotten inspired with some of the old standards, because that led to "Solamente Una Vez," followed by "Y Volver, Volver."
Anyway, to make a long story short, the present climate has reminded me of the words to another song he may have recorded, although it might have been Roberto Ledesma, which seems apropos the moment, though originally romantic in nature:

Donde estas corazon?
No oigo tu palpitar.
Es tan grande el dolor
Que no puedo llorar*
*Where are you my heart. I don't hear you beat. The pain is so great that I can't cry.

No comments: