Tuesday, August 14, 2007

In The Twilight Zone

All this speculation about Fidel as Mr. Life in Death has reminded me of a Twilight Zone episode from when I was a child. A man in a clinical setting is confronted and driven mad by a legion of his victims. The memory is in black and white for obvious reasons, and I only remember that scene.

Little wonder, as some research yields an episode entitled "Deaths-Head Revisited" broadcast in 1961. I must have seen a rerun; I wasn't that precocious. In this, an SS officer is tried by those he killed. Can you see it now? Languishing in a bed, comatose to the world, except for the nameless, numberless dead besieging him, unable to speak, unable to communicate, "Oh, the horror! The horror!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I fear that the moral relativism of "the end justifies the means" so often espoused by despots like Fidel enables them to die with a guilt free conscience. They rationalize their actions as being done for the 'greater good of the greater number', a statement put to the lie by the deplorable conditions in Cuba. I'd say "let history be his judge", but the apologists are rewriting his legacy as we speak.

rsnlk said...

You are so right. They are at it as we write.