Tuesday, July 31, 2007

What's Wrong with this Picture?

At the risk of taking out my soapbox, I have to share this. Pace student Samuel Shmulevich faces FELONY hate crime charges for dunking the Koran into a toilet twice. Not in the article is the context of the whole affair. From the little I've gathered, his actions were sparked by a controversy over Muslim students' objections to the airing of the film, Obsession, which had resulted in the painting of swastikas, etc.

In the end, I have to ask myself one question: would he be facing four years in jail, if he had dunked a Bible? Legally, I suspect he could, but would he? Michelle Malkin made a good point on O'Reilly that hate crime is essentially code for thought crime. She's got some interesting stuff on the whole situation here.

No comments: