Sunday, July 20, 2008

I'm Mad as Hell and I'm Not Going to Take it Anymore!

I guess that's how Humberto Fontova was feeling when he wrote this. He reminded me with a longer version as I fumed on Babalublog over a Salon.com piece. I know, I know, I shouldn't go there. Ah, but you have to keep your enemies closer. Don't think they're enemies of Cuban Americans? Take a gander at an excerpt from Humberto's article:

“Truly disgusting!” was how Bryant Gumbel characterized them a few years back. Last year Georgetown professor Norman Birnbaum, an advisor to three presidential candidates for America's majority political party, called them a “truly repellent” group. This past November, one of America's most influential newspaper (The Washington Post) and one that habitually endorses America's majority political party, ran a cartoon celebrating their expulsion from the country en masse.

In a nation where the mildest, most off-handed-- or even unwitting, see “black hole,” “niggardly”-- mention of ethnic traits commits the professional and social equivalent of a capital crime, the usual sniffers and snouters on ethnic sensitivity issued nary a peep against the blatant bigotry just mentioned, or in defense of the vilified ethnic group.

Pretty personal, I'd say.

No comments: