Sunday, June 8, 2008

Sunday Signs of the Times

Hazard. My American friends, it was bad enough to hear that one of the names being touted for attorney general was that of Janet Reno's deputy in the Elian affair, Eric Holder. But this Dick Morris column on the selection of this same worthy for Obama's VP search team introduces new worrisome associations. Show me your friends, and I'll tell you who you are. I know, I know, Obama's the only virgin in the cathouse.

Road Narrows. According to Reuters, the number of major internet players will shrink to two: Google and Amazon. According to this scenario, Yahoo will be acquired by Microsoft, and eBay will go the same route to another buyer. Gone is the hour of splendor in the grass and glory in the flower.

Yield. According to this article on MSNBC, dumpster diving isn't just for the homeless anymore. In an interesting look at a new phenomenon, Allison Linn presents everything from "average" people who make a habit of stopping by the grocery dumpster to "freegans" who try to live outside the "conventional economic model."

Roadwork. With gas crossing the 4 dollar a gallon threshold, it seems timely to examine our driving habits. Here's a quiz for you. Me, I've got an old Honda Dream that was in somebody else's garage for a long, long time that's lookin' mighty tempting right about now.

Detour. When I first saw the commercial for this upcoming TV series, I thought- "How cool, they really seem to have captured the flavor of the 70's." Incidentally, it is a decade I remember tres fondly. Take a look at this video clip, however. And this on CBS. Just when you thought they couldn't go lower. As me good old Mom is wont to say, "Sodom and Gonorrhea."

No comments: