Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Cuban Sandwich as Weapon

I think it was last week that I posted about an article by Romanian Poet Andrei Codrescu which posed the question whether the poet could be more precise than the journalist. In his case, the answer was in the affirmative. Today, I came across an article in the young Garden & Gun magazine by Rick Bragg* which also supports this notion. Bragg, noted writer and about as unCuban as you can get (he grew up in the foothills of the Appalachians in Alabama), demonstrates a keen eye and an open heart as he crafts a piece about the political and cultural milieu of Miami through the vehicle of the Cuban sandwich. Contrast this one with all of those reports coming out about new generations of exiles.

In a side note, despite its unfortunate title, Garden & Gun is a gorgeous, classy, not chi-chi, and well-written magazine about the South. It's kind of like Southern Living with intellect and without the gloss. Don't get the wrong idea; I like Southern Living.

* I know, I know, he was a journalist.

No comments: