Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Memories

Blame it on Walmart. I was shopping there yesterday when I heard the strains of, no, could it be? Yes! After decades there it was. Oh, if only my father was alive to hear it. Many years ago when I was about five, I heard a song by the Chipmunks. I loved it: I wanted it. Too young to get a title and with marginal English, I went to my father and told him I wanted the Chipmunk song that went "oo-ee-wanamaninga." So Mom and Dad and I went down to the record store on Smith Street where the owner had never heard of a song that went "oo-ee-wanamaninga." We went down to Korvettes on Fulton where they had never heard of a Chipmunk song that went "oo-ee-wanamaninga." We spared no effort, and I sang it at every venue, but alas, there was no "oo-ee-wanamaninga" to be found.

Then yesterday, my life came full circle. There it was being pumped over the speakers. Although I still didn't have the title, this time I got the "words" right: "Oo-ee, oo-ah-ah, ting-tang, walla-walla, bing-bang". A little research, and I had the title, "The Witch Doctor." Ah, one of the great mysteries of my childhood solved.

Already on the road, I started reminiscing and researching and found... See the next post.

No comments: