Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Around the Blogs

Ran into all sorts of good stuff and most excellent links this AM. Let's start with a bit of fun. On Cubanology, we have a link to Ideas Ocultas, a website I've missed somehow but is going on my list. Highlighted are some jokes.

Patriotismo en tierra cubana
El inspector de escuela le pregunta a Pepito:Pepito, ¿quién es tu madre?La Patria, inspector.Y padre?Fidel, inspector.Y ¿qué quisieras ser, Pepito?Huérfano, inspector.


my translation:
Patriotism on Cuban Soil
The school examiner asks Pepito: Pepito, who is your mother? My homeland, inspector. And your father? Fidel, inspector. And you, what would you like to be Pepito? An orphan, inspector.

Enough said. But while you're at the site, read the story about the unfortunate political prisoner whose attempts to escape led to losing both arms. Here.


On Blog for Cuba ran into a very good post on rationing and the supreme irony of sugar being rationed in Cuba. The bonus is a link to a longer article. Some have already raised quibbles about the historical dates, but the rationing is a reality. Check out Cuban Truth

The ever irreverent Gusano on La Contra Revolucion asks "Am I now a Venecuban exile or a Cubazuelan refugee?!?!?" Read it here.

Finally, Alberto "el americanito" de la Cruz marks his entry as one of the contributors to Babalublog with a post dealing with the longing he feels, never having been in Cuba. I've often remarked to my brother that we Cuban Americans have absorbed that sense of loss from our parents, almost imperceptibly. Read it here.

As Alberto says "I could have been born anywhere in the world, but I still would have been born a Cuban." How's that to go along with your morning coffee?

No comments: