Wednesday, August 22, 2007

More Fifth Columnists: The Military History Channel? (Updated)

Watching the Spy Stories today on the Military History Channel, when they go to commercial. No, wait, it's one of those mini-documentaries they do. This time it's about Reagan and the contras. They end it just before the commercial on a decidedly upbeat note for Daniel Ortega. While things might be upbeat for Ortega now, at the time the Sandinistas were eventually kicked out, granted not by the contras. Some note here is off. The presentation of the data is skewed.

This reminds me of an earlier problem I had with another one of those just-before-the- commercial-break docs, this one a mini-biography of Che. At the time, I emailed them.
Below is a highlight:

The only attempt to be objectively historical came with the lip service at the end. Not for nothing is Che known as the "Butcher of the Cabaña" (a prison). Is that supposed to be answered by the sixteen year old saying, "It was a revolution, and in revolutions, people die."

So what was the upshot? I received a very snippy reply to the effect that they had no program "Sea Stories," although they did have a "Sea Tales," and she had no idea what I was talking about. Now I may be absent-minded, but I am not stupid. I knew what I had seen. Alas, in a fit of Cuban pique, I deleted it.

After today's installment, I realized it. The Military History Channel would seem to be if anything prone to flag waving, so what explains it? Simple, the liberal elite control all forms of media. Apparently, someone at The Military History Channel, limited by the patriotic tone of those WWII documentaries, has found an outlet by putting in these leftist leaning mini-docs.

My problem here is the same as that with the Smithsonian. The minute they advertise themselves as The Military History Channel, they have an obligation to adhere to fact. There are many ways to manipulate opinion: one way is to present opinions as facts; another is to selectively cull facts. In those mini-documentaries, The Military History Channel is guilty of both.

Update: They did it again. This time it was the Che biography penned by Castro's propaganda machine, the one where Che is the selfless liberator. AAAARGH!

No comments: