Thursday, July 26, 2007

Random Ruminations of a Smoker

As a Cuban American, a sometime Republican, a somewhat lapsed Catholic, and a smoker, I am 0 for 4 in society, where right has become wrong, wrong has become right, and up has become down. I'm in my very own Star trek episode in which I've transported to a world that is the mirror image of the one I've grown up in.
It's a world in which Castro really cares about the health of his people. The President on the basis of personal animosity has sent thousands of troops in harm's way, merely to satisy his vanity. The Catholic church which nurtured me and taught me whatever virtues I have is evil, and the only sin left is smoking.
I'd guess that no smoker past the age of thirty actually smokes because he or she wants to. The afflicted knows he or she is killing him or herself. By now, most are aware that it is not a good thing to smoke on top of other people, particularly those who don't smoke. The antismoking crowd, however, has gotten so sanctimonious that they would give Carrie Nation a run for her money.
My hometown periodically starts making noises about banning smoking on the BEACH. The rationale is that cigarette butts, which make up 10% of the garbage found, litter the beach. So in their wisdom, figuring they're not going to get away with an outright ban, they've proposed four 100 foot circles on a thirteen mile stretch, where I suppose we would have to stand upright to fit. I guess the other 90% of the trash is okay. My only consolation here is that I got to vote against the chief proponent of this one, and he lost his seat.
Disney I have not been to in years, because although dry humping anywhere seems to be acceptable, last time I went OUTDOOR smoking was limited to four far flung areas you needed a secret password to find. I thank my lucky stars I left New York when I did, because once Bloomberg seized power, his hidden agenda was enacted. This is New York where they hand out hypodermic needles. And he wants to be President? I don't think so.
And now I'm supposed too pay even more taxes for the health care of children whose parents probably make more than I do. And by the way, we actually cost the government less than virtuous nonsmokers because we die young. Yup. Beam me up, Scotty!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy my cigars when and where I can: in my yard, on my front steps, on the golf course, in 'the breezeway' (rsnlk knows what I mean.......). No need to subject others to the after affects of my solitary vice.

rsnlk said...

No offense, but I think cigar smokers have it easier, that is unless they raise the tax 10 bucks a cigar as they are threatening.