Monday, August 20, 2007

The European Effect: Part 1

This week, Cubanology published a moving, almost haunting essay by a Cuban, born and raised in exile in Britain. The palpable sense of loss that runs throughout is something I feel myself. In the course of the essay, he mentions how Cuba was "exploited" by Americans. Immediately, comments began to fly.

"Gee," I thought, "look how they're missing the point of the essay." Well, they must have picked up a scent I missed, because when the author of the essay replied, I was floored. Never shy about commenting, I immediately set about enlightening said author. But then I was so disillusioned, thinking what I had to say would fall on deaf ears that I desisted.

Further reflection led me to thinking about the European perspective. You must understand I'm pretty contemptuous of Europeans in Cuba. But something resonated. Not too long ago, a relative of mine, one of the reasons I write under a pseudonym, mentioned a new phenomenon in Cuba. Intellectuals, virulently against the government, are becoming increasingly pro-European and anti-American. Then I read an article in The New York Times about the growing number of musicians leaving Cuba and electing to stay in Spain. Even given the exigencies of getting out of Cuba and the Times' bias, there is a "there" there.

I've come to the conclusion that the travel restrictions, imposed with the best of intentions, are creating "unintended consequences." Face it, the only contact with the outside world Cubans, the lucky ones have is with tourists. Europeans and Canadians make up the bulk of these. Are they taking their opinions of Americans and Cuban Americans from these tourists? They know better than to believe their own government, after all.

Have we essentially shot ourselves in the foot by limiting travel? I think you can tell from my previous posts how little respect I have for people who go disport themselves in Cuba while the population languishes in indentured servitude. I know 80% of every dollar spent by tourists goes to the coffers of the military which keeps the people oppressed. I don't have any answers, but I think it may be time to reexamine our position.

Oh, and the essay and the author, more on that next time.

No comments: