Sunday, June 13, 2010

Feeling Bookish

Finally got a chance to do some reading... specifically The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, followed up by The Girl Who Played With Fire, the first two in the Millenium Trilogy by Steig Larsson who died shortly after delivering the manuscripts. I had to see what the buzz was about, there being great excitement about it all. An avid reader of mysteries, I have to confess to being a tad disappointed. They were good-I'll read the last one- but I've read others just as good if not better. Best thing about the books is obviously Lisabeth Solander, probably one of the most intriguing characters I've come across in a long time. In the realm of Scandinavian writers, I'd prefer the Harry Hole novels by Norwegian writer Jo Nesbo. Still to be read- Henning Mankell. Just my two cents.

Also picked up a copy of The Holy Thief by William Ryan, a police procedural set in Stalinist Russia, one of a number of similar novels. I am reminded of Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith. This one I enjoyed.

Oh, and if you can bear to read a screenplay, pick up your free copy of the first episode of The Glades at your local Barnes & Noble. I've got mine. Have to read it. The A & E series is set in a small Florida town on the edge of the Everglades. Murder and mayhem among the mangroves. Already have a question, though, how is the retired Chicago cop played by an Australian actor? Look for it in July.

No comments: