Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Book Thoughts

Posts on books have been scarce as of late because I have been battling my way through Desert Queen by Janet Wallach. It came highly recommended, but I've been slogging through it for the past few weeks. I may yet abandon it. The story of the life of Gertrude Bell, billed in the subtitle as "Adventurer, Adviser to Kings, Ally of Lawrence of Arabia," it sounds promising enough. Right now, though, I'm in the middle of this trip to the Middle East and that trip to the Middle East. It's all very Victorian and very tedious.

So in between, I 've rewarded myself with a perfectly delightful Rhys Bowen mystery and, yesterday, with Dean Koontz's The Darkest Day of the Year. It's everything you've come to expect from Koontz- well-plotted and exciting. Still, I've enjoyed the Odd Thomas books more. Can't beat the King's presence. But tonight, I look forward to an Ann Perry. More about that one later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Odd Thomas is my favorite Dean Koontz novel. Dean Koontz is such an awesome writer. The next book, ODD HOURS, comes out on 5/20. Check out the very cool Odd Thomas video on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Th9JJLCQA. There will be several of these "Odd webisodes" that follow Odd's journey. Trust me, after watching this video, you'll be salivating to read the next book.